Wednesday, April 2, 2014

NaPoWriMo Day Two

*
Today's prompt from NaPoWriMo central:
      There are many good poems based on myths. Lots of these use Greek or Roman myths. Consider Tennyson’s Ulysses or this more modern example by A.E. Stallings. But today I challenge you to write a poem based on a non-Greco-Roman myth. You could write a poem inspired by Norse mythology, or perhaps by one of these creatures from Japanese legend. Every time and place and culture has its myths and legends, so there’s plenty to choose from. Happy writing! 
*
Bakeneko

The absent eyes boring through thoughts
lack of face no barrier to understanding
her presence scattered
in the particles of rain
each drop each molecule sliding
earthward loosening her essence
before hitting the ground
the tree’s outstretched parched arms
humming energy
she carries knowledge in this form
holds it close and swishes
her absent tail unneeded as air
yet I feel the air move
the familiar brush of whiskers
against my ankle
seeing nothing and yet seeing all
she is near I know
she is inside she is outside
watching to see if I remember
testing my dedication
and if I fail she’ll take revenge
as only a cat in hiding can do
and if I please her
she will give me a gift of insight
or maybe a headless field mouse she’s stashed under the porch.


No comments: