Thursday, April 17, 2014

NaPoWriMo Day Seventeen : Senses

The prompt from NaPoWriMo
...write a poem in which you very specifically describe something in terms of at least three of the five senses. So, for example, your poem could carefully describe the smell of something, the taste of something, and the sound of something. It might be helpful to pick things you have actually encountered during your day: a cup of coffee at the office (“burnt, flat, and joylessly acrid”), or a hyacinth in the neighobr’s yard (“riotously curled petals shading violet-lavender-white, against the dark-green glossy-smooth leaves”). Happy writing!
 

Cuppa in the Morning
by Dot


the metal foil packets are cold in the morning
sharp and smooth, slide between my still sleepy fingers
the white plastic tea kettle boils and with a click I know
it's done it's duty and now
it's my turn
 
I sprinkle the brown powder into the metal cup
dull brushed silver with a heavy plastic
purple
band to protect those now waking up hands
tap the packet on the side
shake it shake it baby
 
and in goes the hot water steam rising
my nose catches the dark musk like brewed coffee
but it's not not yet not coffee quite
until I pull a spoon from the drawer
and stir
stir
 
listen to the clink of the metal spoon on the sides
watch the clear liquid become tan become brown
sip not enough need a second packet
repeat
cold silver packet slip it open in go the grounds
stir
smell
taste
 
ah
just a one-second splash of cold soy milk
stir again
sip
warmth rolls across my tongue
fills up my mouth
smooth morning at the back of my throat
sliding down toward my torso
on the inside
wakes me up
 
ahhh. a cup of decaf in the morning


No comments: