Sunday, April 3, 2011

Day 2 Poem

 
Spring Fever
By Deb
 
The cat has gone crazy again
spring saturates
her ancient blood
unknown feline hallucinogen
males calling her out
her madness surreal
and nothing to do
with having been spayed
 
Meow, let me out
meow, let me in
meow, dinner is on the balcony
you do like rabbit don't you?
meow, pet me now
meow, do not touch 
claw gashes the hand that feeds
meow and meow and meow
 
Soft grey fur
circles my unsteady legs
threading her plea
crazed begging
all purr and frantic instinct
the unseen need
unmet by me
only a human
who long ago
lost the frenzy of spring
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

Dot Hearn said...

Excellent!

I can see the cat.

I love the ending. The comparison, the contrast, the longing.

Deb Scott said...

Oh,thank you. It is amazing how she becomes an out of control force of nature at this time of year!